About Chris Reck
Hi, I'm Chris Reck. Welcome to Already Mindful. About 6 years ago I discovered mindfulness. It made a difference in my life and my work as a teacher in high schools. I decided to train how to teach it and spread the mindful word. I trained with the Mindfulness in Schools Project (MiSP), then with the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice, both in the UK. I recently completed postgraduate research with the Faculty of Education at Cambridge University. I based my research on the uses of mindful attention and how it can frame teacher agency and identity.
Chris Reck is an imaginative and dedicated teacher - but more than that, he is one of the people who understands most deeply how to teach in a way that builds young people's own capacity and confidence as real-life learners - which is surely the pivotal responsibility of 21st century education - any young people who are lucky enough to have Chris as a teacher will be well prepared for life Professor Guy Claxton, Emeritus Professor at Winchester University and Visiting Professor of Education at King's College London.
I have been privileged to see the creative fruits of Chris’ experimentation and growth as an educator. Chris has the rare skill of being able to take the germ of an idea or intellectual provocation and to run with and develop it, in the process of which he manifests many desirable qualities – intellectual risk-taking and curiosity, creativity, rigour, the skill of drawing astutely on his own reading, culture and experience, and a genuine interest in engaging and extending the interests of learners of all abilities and backgrounds (which he does with great success). Dr Barry Hymer, Emeritus Professor of Psychology in Education at the University of Cumbria in Lancaster.
Comments on mindfulness courses delivered by Chris Reck
I was looking to take a course that would expand my personal repertoire of mindfulness strategies, but would also give me tools I could use in my classroom. After being fortunate enough to attend one of Chris’s Pro D sessions, I knew I wanted to learn more from him. The Present has helped me immensely. I now have a whole toolkit of strategies to use with my students. I am seeing them benefit significantly from the incorporation of mindfulness practice into our classroom. Chris is an incredible resource and his delivery of the material is exceptional. I very much enjoyed the way he incorporated the practices themselves into our sessions and found myself leaving the sessions both relaxed and inspired. I cannot recommend Chris and The Present highly enough. Jacqueline Dunn. Grade 3/4 French Immersion Teacher. George Jay Elementary. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
- mindfulness has helped me to sleep better and have far more patience with troublesome children!
- the focus on compassion when finding things hard, rather than focusing on your own faults, was very valuable.
- great insight into how to deal with difficult situations.
- really enjoyed trying out all the different mindfulness techniques – and sharing our own experiences.
- it makes me think how good society would be if we were all that little bit more mindful towards each other.
- The course has enabled me to have a calmer outlook and put certain elements of my life into perspective. I feel it has already had a very positive effect on both my mental and physical health. I find that I am far less reactive to situations - although this is still an area for development!
- Thank you for aiding the beginning of my journey to a more mindful me!
Love and Gratitude
With love to my sons, Sam, Ben, and James, for being the source and inspiration for all I do.